I recently downloaded Windows 8. Below, I have listed 8 pros, and 8 cons from my experience thus far with Windows 8.
Your experience with Windows 8 will be different of course. I hope that you don’t have as many installation problems as I did.
8 Pros for 8
- New! New! I love new things…
- It is at a great price of $39.99, compared to previous versions of Windows (Windows 7 costed over $100).
- Pro/Con: Your Microsoft Account is merged with Windows (for myself, this is a con).
- Speed… I’m finding Windows 8 to be much faster!
- Microsoft Office 2013 (Get the Preview for free) is awesome!
- The Start Screen just looks cool, maybe it’s a fad… maybe not.
- The boot is incredibly fast, clocking in at 5 seconds.
- The apps are great for the most part, all enjoying the new ‘metro’ design language.
8 Cons for 8
- I had so many installation problems with Windows 8. I spent hours on Twitter with their support account, and hours more on their phone support. In the end it worked.
- This is a massive file. 2GB. If you have a slow internet connection, DO NOT buy the digital download.
- Once Microsoft Office 2013 is available, it will cost $99/year. I am not looking forward to that.
- The Charms features are difficult to figure out at first.
- Is it just me, or are some pre-installed apps taking a really long time to load? Windows Store, for example.
- Setting everything up again. Trying to remember all of your passwords (You are using different passwords, right?) is not fun.
- Apps are far and few between. The ones that exist are great, but it is a limited selection.
- Internet Explorer is still the default browser and is still horrible.
What do you think of Windows 8? Leave your review in the comments.
Kyle Stewart will be publishing his final review before next Tuesday, on Magnae Famae.